A Machinations diagram has a few optional settings. These are:
- Name is the diagram's name, which will be displayed in the viewer
- Author is the person who made the diagram
- Time Mode can be set to synchronous, asynchronous and turn-based.
- Interval indicates the number of seconds that elapse between the automatic firing of automatic nodes in synchronous or asynchronous time modes.
- Actions per Turn indicates the number of actions a player can take (how many clicks on interactive nodes) before a turn is finished.
- Distribution Mode can be instantaneous or fixed speed.
- Dice indicates how numbers to reflect random events are generated when the diagram needs one.
- Skill indicates how numbers to reflect player manual skill are generated when the diagram needs one.
- Strategy indicates how numbers to reflect player strategic skill are generated when the diagram needs one.
- Multiplayer indicates how numbers to reflect oppoistion from other players are generated when the diagram needs one.
- Width and Height set the diagram's dimensions.
The random, skill and multiplayer dynamic is reflected by a string expressing a random range and modifiers, using 'pen-and-paper rpg notation': D6 stands for a six-side dice and generates a value between 1 and 6. 2D6 stands for two six-sided dice added together resulting in a value between 2 and 12. 3D5-2 stands for the result of three five-sided dice added together minus two and results in a value between 1 and 13, etc. You can only use numbers, plus signs, minus signs and capital D's in this formula.